How to Prep a Car for Winter
Whether heading on a holiday road trip or just trying to carry out your daily errands, unpredictable winter weather can make driving tricky in Pottstown. However, the right winter car prep tips will give you greater confidence when navigating in the snow and ice. Get the top service tips from Springfield Mitsubishi - Reading, and find out how to prep a car for winter in Lancaster!
Winter Car Prep Tips
Learning how to prep a car for winter takes a little time, but these basic maintenance tasks are simple to do. Just a few minutes per task can pay off in a big way on the Allentown roads, so here are some of the basic winter car prep tips for cold-weather travels:
- Check your battery: Harsh weather conditions can be tough on your car’s battery, so it’s a good idea to take a look at your battery before the worst of winter sets in. Inspect your battery for cracks or corrosion, and consider getting a battery inspection at the service center.
- Check your tire pressure:Cold weather can also cause a major drop your tire pressure, so check your air pressure regularly. Not only does proper tire pressure increase your traction, but your efficiency as well.
- Consider winter tires: If you drive in snow and ice frequently, a good set of winter tires can make travel much easier. These tires are built for extreme cold, and their aggressive grip keeps you grounded even in slickest conditions.
- Regular brake checks: Your braking system is always important, but it’s especially important during the icy winters. Schedule a brake check to make sure your brakes are free of corrosion and mechanical issues.
- Check your coolant levels: Check your coolant levels to make sure your engine can run smoothly. You can check your owner’s manual for guidance and find extra coolant at our parts department.
- Change your oil: Many drivers like to schedule an oil change before the coldest weather hits. Motor oil naturally thickens in the freezing weather, so starting fresh will help your engine get the best performance possible.
- Fill your wiper fluid and replace the wiper blade: Your windshield wiper blades are essential when the snow and slush falls, so check your blades for damage and replace them if needed. You can also upgrade to freeze-resistant wiper fluid and heavy-duty wiper blades for added convenience.
- Keep the tank topped off: Moisture can build up in your gas tank when your fuel levels are low. Try to keep your tank topped off if possible to avoid strain on your fuel pump.
- Check your heater: You don’t want to find out that your heater doesn’t work as the winter hits, so get your heater checked ahead of time. Our service technicians will make sure that your system is functioning optimally, so you can enjoy comfortable commutes all season long.
Get More Winter Car Prep Tips at Springfield Mitsubishi - Reading
We’ve gone over the basics of how to prep a car for winter, but what if you still have questions? Our service center is happy to help! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions for our experts, or schedule your service appointment in Reading today. We’ll make sure your car is ready for the cold weather ahead!
More from Springfield Mitsubishi - Reading
Reading drivers seem to be pretty impressed with the new Outlander Sport, and so are we. There’s a lot to love about the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, inside and out, but the interior is especially impressive. It has lots of room, plenty of features, and looks great, too. There are plenty of reasons why this SUV…
Meet the 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, a brand-new addition to the Outlander lineup for the new model year that represents the future of Mitsubishi hybrid models. The new Outlander PHEV seats up to seven passengers, boasts extended range, and generates low emissions, all of which make for accommodating, strong drives around Pottstown. Discover this…
Curious about the 2023 Mitsubishi Mirage interior? We don’t blame you. This compact hatchback is a popular choice for Pottstown drivers making their daily Lancaster drives and beyond. You can enjoy a huge collection of interior features, great fuel economy, a sporty transmission, and more when you choose the new Mitsubishi Mirage. Learn more…